Google Maps proved itself to be a useful tool in the classroom. 

Like most people, I have set a destination and relied on google maps to get me where I need to go.  I have had the usual frustrations, when there is a discrepancy between the actual road and the virtual one.  I have been relieved, when I can set the rout to avoid crowded freeways, or use the option to take the scenic route.  There have even been times when I actually pre-printed the maps as an itinerary for a bigger trip.  Yet, through all of these experiences, I had never thought of bringing google maps into the classroom.

It all started when I was introduced to the concept of a “Lit Trip” by my professor (Logan, Project 3.6.1).  I thought this was an interesting idea and I was eager to try it.  So eager, that I somehow accidentally created this experience in google maps instead of google earth.  In the back of my mind, I was thinking that once I typed in the addresses and information, the views would switch to google earth once I clicked to get a closer view. I honestly had fun creating the Lit Trip in google maps, and I was excited to share it with little learners.  The response was positive, and the six-year-olds were able to navigate the experience with very little assistance. 

Based on my experience, my biggest critique was that google maps did not easily integrate between google maps and google earth.  I would love it if a stop on my google lit trip in maps could show the 3D pictures and clear images of that place alone (without getting lost in google earth).

Also based on my experience, the other difficulty that I had was citing sources.  I was not able to find the explore button in google maps.  Since I was trying to create a Lit Trip in google maps, I wanted to clearly cite my information and it seemed the only way was to add the web source after quoting.  Yet this is not the best, because it does not distinguish for students which are sources and which are links to find more information from.  Despite my mix-up, I can see the value in google maps for students.

I realized that google maps would be a great tool to introduce to students.  Students can use the navigation in the many ways I have used it, as I mentioned above.  Here are some, in-classroom examples:  Students could locate where a field trip would be and print the maps for the parent volunteers.  After sharing about their weekend, students could locate it on the map and then show the class how far it is from school.  Students can find a place in a book and map it to their location.



πŸ’—πŸ’—Overall my experience was positive, 

and I would encourage teachers 

to use google maps in their classroom.πŸ’—πŸ’—











Photo Credits:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.wccftech.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F03%2FGoogle-Maps.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwccftech.com%2Fdownload-google-maps-offline%2F&tbnid=TKED5X8T7ULcFM&vet=12ahUKEwiu3eiyw97vAhViJ30KHU7hAZUQMygLegUIARDPAQ..i&docid=4BFO7rk0O-YtLM&w=950&h=534&itg=1&q=maps%20google%20images&ved=2ahUKEwiu3eiyw97vAhViJ30KHU7hAZUQMygLegUIARDPAQ

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHZbzF3E6c1TWOsd7Djc0qwHWNa9XD_GfSZQ&usqp=CAU 

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmaps.google.com%2Fhelp%2Fmaps%2Feducation%2Fimages%2Fhero_image.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmaps.google.com%2Fhelp%2Fmaps%2Feducation%2F&tbnid=eif8IOvFSnEmsM&vet=12ahUKEwjLiaHWxN7vAhWaATQIHVltB-YQMygEegUIARC9AQ..i&docid=OSvVcnG6P7SjVM&w=768&h=396&itg=1&q=maps%20students&ved=2ahUKEwjLiaHWxN7vAhWaATQIHVltB-YQMygEegUIARC9AQ

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propertybase.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F08%2Fgoogle-maps-blog.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propertybase.com%2Fblog%2Fhow-to-avoid-paying-for-google-maps-on-your-real-estate-website%2F&tbnid=k4cD0pz-49vucM&vet=12ahUKEwiu3eiyw97vAhViJ30KHU7hAZUQMygEegUIARDBAQ..i&docid=KTMOobVp9aNmWM&w=644&h=355&itg=1&q=maps%20google%20images&ved=2ahUKEwiu3eiyw97vAhViJ30KHU7hAZUQMygEegUIARDBAQ







Comments

  1. Thanks for your post. I can see how one could easily get lost in some of these google apps. I do like the idea of using google maps with students. This would especially be helpful when trying to teach map reading skills. I do like to teach my students how to read a paper map though just in case they/ ever lose cell/internet service. (oh, the horror of that happening)! I also agree with your point that google maps and google earth do not easily marry together and that would definitely be a plus if they would. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post. I can see how one could easily get lost in some of these google apps. I do like the idea of using google maps with students. This would especially be helpful when trying to teach map reading skills. I do like to teach my students how to read a paper map though just in case they/ ever lose cell/internet service. (oh, the horror of that happening)! I also agree with your point that google maps and google earth do not easily marry together and that would definitely be a plus if they would. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your excitement for this project had to excite your students to take their Google Map journey! I am glad that it worked the way you had planned for them. When we have positive experiences with technology, we are likely to try them again. So, I hope you do. Opening the eyes of littles to the world around them is a great way to engage them and help them become a global citizen. I know I was fascinated by the images I was seeing on the street view on Goggle Maps. Hopefully, our students would be too!
    I know the frustration of thinking you were working inside one platform only to realize you were in the wrong one! I hope your Google Earth project goes well!
    Thanks for your post! I could sense your excitement!
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading how you integrated this exploratory assignment with live classroom teaching. Your hunger to implement what you learn is contagious! I was encouraged by you to implement Google Maps into my preschool classroom when we discuss our "my home" unit. It is a great way to let them see their home and it promotes conversations about neighborhoods and map making. I think incorporating Google Maps into your classroom of young learners is also laying a great foundation of learning to read and interpret maps which seems to be a skill going extinct these days with all our technological helps. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Access to Learning

Blogging for Connection.