Parent Communication in a Pandemic

On the topic of digital parent communication in schools, 

I decided to share my experience on the other side, as a parent.  There have been drastic differences between pre and mid pandemic connections.  While our family is blessed to have both of our children in amazing schools, this year feels fragmented and disconnected.

The other day another parent asked me on the phone, “Is it different this year?  Did you feel like you knew what was going on last year?”  “It was SO much different!” I replied.  I went on to explain how I knew other parents in my son’s preschool.  I shared how you could see the activity choices each mooring, and at the end of the day, the teachers would proudly display the daily creations of the students.  However, current Covid laws prevent parents from even entering the building where the kids spend their day, parents must take turns approaching the drop off point, preventing any interaction, and the only sight of teachers is when they open the door to take the temperature of your child.

Creating a welcoming and home-like feel is something my daughter’s school does best.  Pre-covid the school had a long list of ways they invited parents to be as connected as possible to the school and other families at the school.  Fortunately, I do have more of an idea what her elementary school days are like than my son’s preschool.  Yet, the drive-through procedures, and the shortage of interactions clearly separate the feel of this year from last.  While I know that her teacher is a kind-hearted person from the zoom meetings, and I appreciate my daughter coming home from school in a cheery mood, I actually know very little about her teacher and find it difficult to imagine how her average day plays out.

Both schools have a detailed newsletter.  Both schools offer quarterly progress report meetings online.  Both schools send home the work and projects my children complete.  Both schools call me with concerns or if something happens.  However, I agree with Paul and John Dyer, that indirect communication cannot compare to face-to-face interactions.

Now, I am thinking about how communication can be strengthened in the current situation.  I think less than 10-minute video-clips of class learning, sent to parents one time per week would make a world of difference.  I think an occasional random note about something positive that happened during the day would be helpful in discussing with my child.  I think the teachers taking time to share their goals and objective with the 10-minute parents would provide insight into their personality and style.  While I know that getting on camera is often not comfortable, currently, it seems one of the best ways to build connections with those caring for our children behind doors we now, cannot enter.  

💗💗I know that this pandemic has changed 
the world of education in many ways.  
While we do not know what education will look like in the future, 
we can use the resources we have now to prevent parents from feeling disconnected.  
We know that face-to-face interactions are the best.  
We know that home and school connections improve student outcomes.  
Finding platforms that keep parents, students, 
and teachers connected, is a great start.  
This is the perfect time to get creative about the ways we build connections.  
This is the time to be transparent.💗💗




Photo Credits:  

https://ascacademy.org/Portals/0/parent-teacher-conference.jpg
https://plzh4x.me/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/26b90e4.jpg
https://images.app.goo.gl/Hki1zF3zsvXZF4MNA 
https://edcabellon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/heartshapedplug.jpg

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing your experiences as a parent with the communication between home and the classroom. I think that the video of in-classroom lessons would be helpful to engage parents. Yes, it is difficult to put yourself on camera and not have it be a distraction or an additional thing in your day. Yet there is value in it. I would even think of having a classroom art show where they virtually create a video displaying their classroom art and learning. Notes are another additional help to communicate with parents even if it is a simple check out form that shares your child's behavior by either checking a emoji or a simple explanation of their day or event that took place.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Access to Learning

Blogging for Connection.